Collaboration - let's start a GroupBook using Blurb

edited September 2008 in creations
So, my recent experience with Blurb got me thinking.

We can set up a GroupBook using their software and we could perhaps produce a collab book of illustrations / designs / photos, whatever.

Then it got me thinking that we could have some sort of theme which could be Marissa's Bunny. Final thought on this, we could then sell the book using blurb's online store and give the cash earned to the cause.

Whaddayathink?

Contributors:
veedot
chris
squapple
be-jot
urbansurgeon
biff
flak
mick
orsom rockwell
elliot-20
meska
skyler
CPU
toby
LaFemmeMikita
wormsnot
pants
nicko

Page template:

Here's the template for a full bleed PAGE in the book (it's a white page so just right click and save to your local disk:

http://www.mabuk.co.uk/yay/template.jpg

DO NOT reduce the resolution. Make sure all your work is kept at 300dpi, RGB format
DO NOT place critical items close to the trim. Allow 10mm (1/3") border.

Email the finished piece to me: pythonick@gmail.com

Feel free to email an "in progress" file to make sure everything is OK. I'll drop a placeholder into the book and let you know if there's anything to worry about.

DEADLINE: 26 October 2008

The template is for one single page... we're doing spreads (two pages side-by-side), so what you will get is as the graphic below (white areas denote the two pages. Grey outer is simply 'background').

Happy?

Comments

• Ve.Ve.
    edited 7:38AM
    OH I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

[hide]...AND YOU!!!![/hide]
  • edited 7:38AM
    I bless this thread.
    I love it ! That would be an amazing keeps sake. Fantastic idea :)
    idea = hott
    Let's do it then
    The book I mean :wink:
    oh, ok!
    count me in
    I guess we need to figure out how many people want to be in... then allow a DPS for each contributor?
    I updated the first post. Biff, do you want to contribute?
    are we talking just any artwork at all? ie pst bits :)
    I guess it would be nice if it had a theme, I don't know. Open to suggestions
  • edited October 2008
    i'd love you to count me in but i really can't make any promises deadline wise

work and homelife are pretty tough right now
    well i guess you already have the bunny theme. Everyone could include it somehow in a piece of work which best relates to their chosen genre / profession?

just a suggestion :)
    Yup... we could do that.

urban added to first post
  • Ve.Ve.
    EXcellent...I'm playing the blurb tutorial now...:happy::happy:
    I don't do design, but I'll find some nice pics from the archive.
    OK then, added.
  • edited September 2008
    Biff said...I don't do design, but I'll find some nice pics from the archive.
    exactly what i meant by chosen genre, the contrast from the designers work to none designers work will be interesting :)
    Well, it doesn't have to be pictures...

make your suggestion squap
    Well, you graphic design types- you've got Chris' Fairfax interpretation (if you need others, I have them), you've got pictures of the bunny at places you can scavenge from the site.

How about interpretations of a theme from a graphic design point of view? The PST matches get wild, why not this?
    I think the theme should just be "rabbit". Let's see what happens.
    nicko said...Well, it doesn't have to be pictures...
    To elaborate on this, I mean that if the non-designery people wanted to write something - be it a piece of prose / poetry - then the designery types (I volunteer myself) could do some nice typography type thing.

Nah mean?
    The theme of Rabbit is fine (and less restrictive!) too.
  • Ve.Ve.
    Oooooooooooooo thoughts of *Alice in Wonderland* are dancing across my mind........:happy:
  • Ve.Ve.
    hands off you lot...I got that one!:wink:
  • or everyone uses the wonderland rabbit...
  • Ve.Ve.
    Oooo I like that too!!!!!!!Already have an idea for a sketch...
    I think the title should be 'Rabbit'
    I can contribute photos that weren't used on the site (as far as I can tell)...maybe Biff has some outtakes?

Beyond that, I've got no design/art skills whatsoever, so probably won't be of any help. :tongue:
    as for me - i can contribute photos or "art" ("design" since i can't draw :) ) or i can also write something, although my english skills as a writer suck ass - so it wouldn't do any good.
    but maybe we can make it "introglobally rabbit collab" and then i could write something in polish :)
    flak said...I can contribute photos that weren't used on the site (as far as I can tell)...maybe Biff has some outtakes?

Beyond that, I've got no design/art skills whatsoever, so probably won't be of any help. :tongue:
    i have a solution... flak in a bunny costume... *nod* it would be awesome. :)

bejot.. your english skills are "doskonały". i thought you were from the UK until your you came out as Polska. :D

please include me, nicko. i can bunny something up, for sure.
    i have a solution... flak in a bunny costume... *nod* it would be awesome. :)
    I was going to make a furry joke, but realized this is a lot cooler. :D

dziękuję, mick ;)
    but there's a difference between "intr0web/street english" and the "literary english" :)
    i want to make stuff for 'rabbit'!
    Cheers guys. I updated the first post

Flak, you could buddy-up with a designer to produce something based on your own concept. I will gladly be that person if nobody else chooses to put themselves forward :smile:
    Need to decide what size / format we want the book to be.

I'm thinking standard format 0-40 pages with a hard cover and image wrap. Costs £15.95 / $31.95 each to produce (10% discount for 10-199 copies).

The reason I think we should have the standard sized book rather than the large format size is because I think we can get away with greater margins in the Blurb bookstore and still have a reasonably priced book.

I feel we could easily have 75-100% margin on a smaller book, the bigger size might just seem too expensive if we apply the same margin.

Ultimately it's all about how much cash we can raise.

What do you guys think?
    Oh, and I should add that Blurb doesn't take a cut of the profits for books sold through their store. Happy days.
    nicko said...Oh, and I should add that Blurb doesn't take a cut of the profits for books sold through their store. Happy days.
    Wow, how do they make money?

Also, I might be up for the "buddy up with a designer" thing, we'll see. I don't know that I have any ideas, hehe. :)
    happy days indeed. I cannot wait to get to see the finished book!
    So, any feelings about size/format?
    I'm good with your suggestion. Especially if it generates more money for the cause :)
    the format looks fine, i'm ok with that
    the dust cover though - i'm not so sure about it - i never really like those things, they always get fucked first :)
    but it's just me - if you guys think it's all good, then it's all fine
  • edited September 2008
    that's why I suggested a hard cover with an image wrap (affixed to the strawboard)... doesn't include a dust cover :wink:
    like this one:
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited September 2008
    This sounds great,nicko! So do we submit our page (when done) and our dough to you?
    i didn't realize this would cost. i'm really broke.

:(
    well, you don't have to buy one, do you ;)
    You don't need to send any monies.

The costs I mentioned are wholly for production of books. I'm not sure yet whether we can put the book into the blurb store without an initial production run. I'll find out.

I guess some of us will buy a book (from the store :smile: at the store price). It should be possible to participate without spending money.