Will the Real Ernst Bettler Please Stand Up?

edited January 2008 in creations
Aware of reports that P+H had been involved in testing prisoners in German concentration camps less than 15 years before, he hesitated, and then decided to accept the commission. "I had the feeling I could do some real damage," he said later.

And indeed he did. He created four posters featuring dramatic, angular black and white portraits juxtaposed with sans serif typography. Alone, each poster was an elegant example of international style design. Together, however, a different message emerged, for it turned out the abstract compositions in the posters contained hidden letters. (The one above, for example, displays the letter A.) Hung side by side on the streets, they spelled out N-A-Z-I. A public outcry followed, and within six weeks the company was ruined.

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Read the whole article!~Thats brilliant!
  • edited 10:17AM
    so where are the other posters? i can't read that "i'm a web designer too! light green links on white surrounded by black text is really readable!" design observer article :awkward:
    slater, if you read a little bit further than the text i quoted, you'll find out ;)
    oh bugger it, here -

[hide]So if you're looking for evidence that graphic design has the potential to change the world, you need look no further than the story of Ernst Bettler. But if you look a little further, you'll discover something disturbing: Ernst Bettler never existed. The designer, the posters, the company are all entirely made up.[/hide]
    oh fuck!
    Ooops !!!!!