g4's and logic - please help

edited June 2007 in conversations
does anyone know which version of logic pro / logic express i would need to use if i want to use it on a g4? a friend of mine has need of a copy since his dongle for logic pro got nicked

also does anyone know what the difference between the pro and the express version is?

thanks guys
obie

Comments

• edited 6:22PM
    also does anyone know if it's possible to get new dongles?
    apparently he has an older single processor g4 so the latest version won't run on it (very well)
    logic 4, possibly 5 or 6....but that's about it i'd say... depends totally on the setup (ie if you're running a load of virtual instruments or if you have a load of hardware instead)

As for replacement dongles, if you've got a proof of purchase for it, you could try asking for one... but becuase it got nicked it's more of an insurance issue...
    unfortunately it's a grey area of nickage - he let a 'mate' of his use it and it never came back so the insurance is a no go
    in that case, not much chance at all then... pay the "mate" a visit and nick it back
    surely there's a crack out there for the version that will run on the g4?
    where would one find out about such a thing?
    i'm not really sure, tbh :) logic has always been one of those pretty hardcore apps, difficult to crack etc. maybe check the serial box, see what it says in there?
    there's a crack for version 4 and below that works pretty well, although can go a little dodgy sometimes. For the later versions i don't think anyone managed to crack it (at least on the mac)
    do you know if there's a huge gulf of difference between the pro and the express set?

He's decided that the pro set is a bit overkill for him (especially if he has to pay for it again) but where would he be able to get an old copy of the software (all legal-like - he's an ex-pastor so it doesn't sit well with him to go nickin')?
    I don't think you can get a copy of 4 anymore...you'd have to find someone who wants rid of it and buy it off them... (or a little search on limewire should deliver ;) ) The main difference between the pro and the express set is the exs24 sampler that you get with the pro... it pretty much sorts you out. Then there's just more advanced features, effects and things like that...unless you're really making music that you wanna sell then the express is probably fine.