the great big paper construction thread!

Comments

• edited 1:58PM
    Thomas Demand

(should probably be in the photography thread but for the craft, I'll post it here)
    Thomas Demand is interested in how we absorb information and experiences through the media. Or, as he puts it, how "things just enter reality through photographs".

He is concerned with how the images we are offered in photographs, film and television present versions of reality and to what extend this imagery accompanies us in daily life.

He begins by selecting an image from the press or media. It may depict an event which contains elements of his own national history, that of Germany from the 1930s onwards, or an event that in some way is of wider significance - Studio refers to the television set of the first German quiz show.

From this he re-constructs the scene in his studio. He makes a life-size, three-dimensional model of paper and cardboard. Then with a large format camera he makes a large scale photograph of the newly derived sculptural environment. Thus he creates an illusion of realness that throws our perceptions of the photographic into question
    BBC article

Demand

Demand

Demand
    that's just insane! :) in an obsessive, artistic way, of course. i bet he has fun doing it, too. ;) he must have an amazing workshop.

chris... the face masks are incredibly compelling; i want them.

;) the curly pretties are amazingly skillful; she's taken quilling to a whole new level.
    chris said...papercut illustrations
    fooking awesome stuff from yulia brodoskaya
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy niceness
    yeah, that stuff is hott!
    the hottestness™
  • edited January 2009
    i almost put these in the "book cover" thread, but....

the cutouts are done by an artist named Thomas Allen.

nothing to see here, move on along....

edited for indiscretion...
    chris that is a very colourful mongster..... cool.

oh peak, i'm sorry. my double-posting track record suffered this last week. viral.. *nod* :) i did glance at the pic you posted, but didn't follow the link. shoulda.

and..... WTF!

no one bothered to poke me and mention that i'd posted a pic that didn't belong in this thread? where is all your anal when i need it, dammit?

i have no idea how i managed to post a nude at the tail of a queue of book art pix. sorry.... i think i just had a stack of images ready and got over-enthusiastic with the C/P, and ... obviously... didn't preview.

x
    heh! ^ "foldskool" .

visit Ingrid Siliakus' flickr page.

these small thumbnails don't do her work justice. she does buildings, as well as other fine paper work.

windows to balconies

this one's from her Gallery site.

building
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:58PM
    chris said...

Ohhhh CUTE!:smile:
  • Ve.Ve.
    edited 1:58PM
    btw...clever, chris, to make the snap in the quoted post a smaller version of the orig...very nice!
    it was lil flak's idea, innit ;)
    I sold a print ad that we get to make from paper. Little bit like Thomas' work up on this page, but I predict it will be a lot crappier.

Let's see how it turns out!
    chris said...>dollar bill teddy
    i'd pay 10 bucks for one! :)

i almost put these in the "interior design" thread, but the carboardiness ruled.
    she does this with scissors.....

text 1

text 2

hinaaoyama's photostream
    what the holy shit ?!
    chris said...my paperbag
    paper bag made from leather, by Ramon Middelkoop
    that's quite beautiful. it's not going to look like paper for long, tho'.... that serrated edge is going to curl. :D
    nicko said...
    LOL ... so apt!

playhouse 1

playhouse 2

playhouse 3

that ^ is a great little cardboard playhouse. it needs painting, of course. :) fun fun fun.
    not so much a construction, but ... very paper:

shopping bag
  • edited March 2009
  • edited March 2009
    Just got this finished last night. It took us about 14 hours to complete. Maybe,

From this:

To this:

The computers are made from product images found on the manufacturers' websites.
    Both the men are Lauri, my coworker, who I photographed in different clothing. It was hard to find models 00:00 sunday morning...

It is not often you get paid to do papercraft!!
    paperwork is the bane of my life; yours seems a much better way to go. :)

what fun, and way cool, jussi.

x
    jussi, awesomes from you again.

The Fedrigoni Mountains
    British Graphic Designer and Art Director Alex Ostrowski, and Illustrator and Set Maker Hattie Newman have just finished building The Fedrigoni Mountains, an impressive model mountain range, fashioned using Fedrigoni papers.

The pair also commissioned twelve intrepid illustrators to 'explore' the paper slopes and visualise their discoveries on B1 sheets of paper. Each paper peak was peppered with tiny model clues, including a plane, a native village and an abandoned camp. The illustrators elaborated on these landmarks to conjure an imaginary adventure up the mountains.
  • edited April 2009
    julene harrison's papercuts you are the beez neez
    julene harrison's papercuts love is sweet but it's nice to have bread with it
    paper cuts from the lovely julene harrison
    (that's "jolly" to you and me).
    jolly says...
    I am making some as commissions so if you can think of something you'd like to say to someone you care about.. then let me know! ;) :*
    Jollyness :smile:
    chris said...julene harrison's papercuts you are the beez neez
    she's about to drop a load more images of new ones on her blog, btw - check them out.
    that Bontrust ad (vid) was amazing. funny, too. ;)

the papercuts are beautifully done. i admire a steady hand with an x-acto knife.

Ryan Galanin carves huge stacks of paper.

Galanin 1
    Raven
    Galanin 2
    Bear
    paper plane aircraft carrier
    i know, i know...
    lol ^

folded paper

folded paper.

more at Simon Shubert's papierarbeiten.
    oh yeah, i saw that, amazing.
    in finland:

print

outdoor
    outdoor
    julene did that one ^
    chris said...
    chris said...julene harrison's papercuts you are the beez neez
    she's about to drop a load more images of new ones on her blog, btw - check them out.
    paper castle
    paper castle
    - includes lights, a ferris wheel & a moving train!
    holy shit! Nice posts people. Some amazing stuff indeed!
    the castle is awesome. FOUR YEARS?! yikes

these are "post-it notes".

posty fruits
    posty pear
    ^ ingenious!

the paper castle is going to burn.
    Mr Ito, 25, started building his 'Castle on the Ocean' when he became bored during his university entrance exams. Using just a knife and glue, the art student built up an entire cityscape over four years by cutting and folding hundreds of pages of craft paper.

The finished piece is now being displayed for the first time at an exhibition on the artificial island of Umihotaru, near Tokyo. But incredibly, Wataru, a second year student at Tokyo University of the Arts, plans to set his work on fire when the show is over.

"When the exhibition is over I will burn the castle. I thought I could see it rising up from the ashes if I took a video and played it backwards."
    notebook paper 1
    notebook paper 2
    notebook paper 3

extra fun when you discard an idea. :)
    haha that is brilliant!
    more toilet tube art

jaquet 1

jaquet 2

more pics of Junior Jaquet's tube sculptures here