the most excellent bike thread (pedal)

Comments

• edited 11:59PM
    not hipster enough?! i can assure you... :D
    nice mac, sunk!

I should have taken side by side pics to show off the awesome power of the 29er wheel.
    Ok, so just swung by my favorite bike shop and picked up my new (additional) bike. The Raleigh Grand Prix is still my main one, but wanted a second one to have on hand. Will probably be repainting the Raleigh and letting this one act as my beater.
    Max Knight created the Walking Bike from 8 pairs of sneakers and some fancy wheel modifications. The wheels have been replaced with special wheels outfitted with 8 pairs of separate sneakers.
  • edited July 2008
    ^ Woot that looks shweet!

I would slap on a few custom upgrades tho - cranks pedals and brake levers. Although I fully understand the asthetics of the design :happy:
  • edited July 2008
    ooo nice, I have the non titanium railed version of that saddle in black
    brooks

and inverted on-one mary bars!! need an updated pic, I wrapped the exposed bars in bar tape, looks all sorts of pro now

dsfs
  • edited July 2008
    I had a pair of pairs like that once ^

Straight after I used a tree to stop :tongue:
    trees hurt. I broke two ribs using a tree to stop many years ago. Smashed up my Kona Lavadome as well !
    trees are bad, mmmmkay?
    I'm loving the look of the Brooklyn Machine Works Gangsta Track at the moment. Need something stripped like this for more day-to-day riding.

Brooklyn Machine Works Gangta Track
    that BMC looks slick, dunno if I'm masochistic enough to attempt a fixie in northern MN.

I am however seriously considering ordering up a voodoo canzo full squish 29'er frame and turning the stumpy into a single speed.

But a slingshot with a lefty would be the ultimate in pimp.
    Ooo Voodoo, they make some nice bikes. As and when I'm after a full sus my next purchase would be a Transition Preston FR, hmm in green or white.
    But a slingshot with a lefty would be the ultimate in pimp.
    How much bike do you want to lose? :happy:
    What's the deal with 29'ers anyway? Seen 'em, ridden one, but just don't get 'em!

I think i'll stick to 26'ers for now.
    elliott-20 said...What's the deal with 29'ers anyway? Seen 'em, ridden one, but just don't get 'em!

I think i'll stick to 26'ers for now.
    you must be short. j/k

Seriously though, as a taller, larger person I noticed the difference in handling.
    They do roll over things easier than a 26. It feels more stable for me than my previous 26" HT. I hear good things about high speed cornering but lack of anything like a local trail keeps me from testing.
    From my understanding they shine as rigid singlespeeds and someday thats what mine will be. ack trendwhore lol
    another nifty thing is that they are really just 700c rims.
    I purchased mine under the assumption we would be moving a bit south opening up trails for me. Up here I would have been better suited with a cx or full on roadie (my intentions when I entered the shop) so the stumpy is in a weird commuter limbo now :).
    still need to replace my last stolen bike

tend to go for fast hybrid - really struggling to justify spending too much on myself
    Ok, update on my bike... away with all you wimpy bikes... :D

Check out those rims and those magnificent tires which i couldn't put on without the help of the magnificent websnap!!! Thanks again mate!!!
    needs a Roloff or Nuvinci rear hub there LP, oo and a half link chain :)
    Diggin' those white walls man.
    Half link chain is in there... i really wanted these

chain

but unfortunately, the rims are too wide. Needed some serious chainwheel-mod or frame-mod for it to fit :(

A Nuvinci is out of the question, too expensive and too much for this bike really but a nice suggestion anyway!
    livepulse said...

Check out those rims and those magnificent tires which i couldn't put on without the help of the magnificent websnap!!! Thanks again mate!!!
    oh my. that is even more badass than i was expecting.... woohoo!

btw... there's sound, well-documented research out now that shows that a bicycle seat with a "nose" can cause erectile/arousal dysfunction due to perineal pressure. :) just so you know.
  • edited August 2008
    mick said...

btw... there's sound, well-documented research out now that shows that a bicycle seat with a "nose" can cause erectile/arousal dysfunction due to perineal pressure. :) just so you know.
    Its more of an improper fit than a general thing. Also there is a lack of proper research most of the "facts" being skewed to sell papers or get you to watch 20/20.

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
    Impotency/Prostate Issues

There has recently been a great deal of hysteria on the subject of cycling-related impotency. The thrust of the argument is that the rider's weight flattens the penile arteries against the saddle, reducing blood-flow capacity of these articles, which are required for tumescence.

I can't claim any medical expertise, but it is my opinion that these problems in most cases are related to poor adjustment or poor choice of saddles, such that the rider's weight is not being carried properly by the "sit bones." In particular, having the saddle too high or tilted down too far, will lead to the rider sitting on the narrow part of the saddle, which may block these arteries, and also possibly do nerve damage. This sort of mismatch can also create pressure on the prostate.

Cyclists who have problems with this, or who regularly experience numbness, should experiment with saddle position so that the sit bones are carrying their share of the load. Cyclists with persistent problems should consider switching to a recumbent, since recumbent seats are thought to eliminate this sort of problem.

See Also :

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/saddles.htm

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-143605.html

http://www.wallbike.com/content/impotence.html

Or cut to the chase and read this -> http://bicyclehabitat.com/page.cfm?PageID=97
    Well Mick, why don't you come by one evening, i'll make sure there's some wine, some candlelight, a nice diner and we'll see how bad it is with my erectile/arousal dysfunction...

sounds good to me... :happy:
    livepulse said...Ok, update on my bike... away with all you wimpy bikes... :D

glad to have a hand in helping get that bad ass bike together. Looks awesome.
    sunk said...
    Its more of an improper fit than a general thing. Also there is a lack of proper research most of the "facts" being skewed to sell papers or get you to watch 20/20.

http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
    Impotency/Prostate Issues

There has recently been a great deal of hysteria on the subject of cycling-related impotency. The thrust of the argument is that the rider's weight flattens the penile arteries against the saddle, reducing blood-flow capacity of these articles, which are required for tumescence.

I can't claim any medical expertise, but it is my opinion that these problems in most cases are related to poor adjustment or poor choice of saddles, such that the rider's weight is not being carried properly by the "sit bones." In particular, having the saddle too high or tilted down too far, will lead to the rider sitting on the narrow part of the saddle, which may block these arteries, and also possibly do nerve damage. This sort of mismatch can also create pressure on the prostate.

Cyclists who have problems with this, or who regularly experience numbness, should experiment with saddle position so that the sit bones are carrying their share of the load. Cyclists with persistent problems should consider switching to a recumbent, since recumbent seats are thought to eliminate this sort of problem.

See Also :

http://www.chainreactionbicycles.com/saddles.htm

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-143605.html

http://www.wallbike.com/content/impotence.html

Or cut to the chase and read this -> http://bicyclehabitat.com/page.cfm?PageID=97

i have nothing but respect for Sheldon Brown. his take was written in 2002. all those other studies, including the "cut to the chase" link are old.

this is a new study, well designed, peer review is in agreement. the study was done on bicycle police over a 6 month period. i take it into consideration.

Journal reference: 1. Irwin Goldstein. The A, B, C's of The Journal of Sexual Medicine: Awareness, Bicycle Seats, and Choices. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, Volume 5 Issue 8 (August 2008)
    livepulse said...Well Mick, why don't you come by one evening, i'll make sure there's some wine, some candlelight, a nice diner and we'll see how bad it is with my erectile/arousal dysfunction...

sounds good to me... :happy:
    sounds good to me, too.... but only if your wife says it's ok that i watch. :D
    :D
  • edited August 2008
    mick sweety, goldstein was wrong and continues to be so to the point of admitting it. there is no relation between seat and ED other than through an improper it or irritating further an existing condition. Goldstein is the one that started the rumors and has been proven wrong.

A quick scan of said study shows that it was on the benefits of NOSELESS seats in reducing discomfort etc. Not claiming bike seats cause ED. These seats are designed to look and feel comfy, and shocker no nose equals no pressure in that area.

Noseless saddles as suggested force the rider up right, take away any stability gained by thigh control and so on, they also contain lots of squish. squish is bad. Any question about the lack of usability of these seats can be found by counting the number of noseless seats found in pro events, or standard equipment on boutique or big name bikes .... 0

Gel seats when sat upon squish under the bones then force up into the flesh causing more pressure than a hard, skinny seat.

People asses are different widths, bicycle saddles however rarely are. My new saddle being wider than stock and tilted slightly up moves my "sit bones" onto the widest area keeping my junk in good order.

Also the majority of of the sufferers of pain, discomfort etc... are roadies and more specifically roadies riding TT style bikes forcing them into a stretched position and causing extra stress in the nether regions.
    Steering us back on track ....

yummy

I need to start looking into frames to build up for next year, while I still want a full squish MTB, the road seems to be calling me....

I may just go grab a cheap net deal road
    sunk... :) i dislike gel seats, too. i can't speak to the current technology in noseless seats, but i'm betting that bike seats in 20 years will look a lot diff. i missed the part where Goldstein admitted he was wrong. can you cite this for me, and share it privately, so we don't derailleur this thread even more?

at least i got an invite to dinner and a show. :D
    mick said...sunk... :) i dislike gel seats, too. i can't speak to the current technology in noseless seats, but i'm betting that bike seats in 20 years will look a lot diff. i missed the part where Goldstein admitted he was wrong. can you cite this for me, and share it privately, so we don't derailleur this thread even more?

at least i got an invite to dinner and a show. :D
    Will do, looking around now. Fact remains he was disproved in relation to the cycling seats cause ED etc... Curiously the nose-less saddle are a product from Dr. Steven Schrader, who also likes to shill the idea that any design but his own = bad.

The cycling community calls him a hack, urologists said he was silly.

Its not the seat its people not knowing how to set up the bike+saddle etc.. properly. He is claiming people became afflicted with ED and such because of cycling. Using the same argument I can show the relation ship between kitchen knives and high rates of suicide by slashing of wrists by kitchen knives because they owned one.

Much like AA and sobriety the percentages for "recovery" from alcoholism are the exact same with or with out AA (results of an AA funded study).

The principal study citing a possible ED - cycling link is the Schwarzer study
    - AUA Abstract 952. This is adose-response survey study comparing the responses
    of cyclists and swimmers. The study found cyclists were twice as likely to
    suffer severe impotence than swimmers. Unfortunately, the report did not adjust
    the results for the fact the swimmers were on average 10 years younger than the
    cyclists, nor did the abstract detail the margin of error in the survey, which
    would push the impotency rates between the cyclists and swimmers into a
    statistical tie. In political terms, It's too close to call. The final blow to
    this survey came when a colleague of mine, Bud Hoffacker, the owner of Avocet
    cycling products, graphed the impotency rates of the cyclists against the
    findings of the Mass. Male Aging Study and demonstrated that when compared to
    the general male population, cyclists were half as likely to suffer severe
    impotence and 1/3 as likely to suffer any form of impotence. The conclusion he
    drew from the study is that cycling may not be as beneficial as swimming at
    mitigating or eliminating impotence. Also he concluded, at a minimum cycling
    does not expose riders to a higher risk of impotence.

The other major study was AUA abstract 941, titled "You don't have to ride in
    the Tour de France". This was a backwards study in which 1600 men with ED were
    surveyed and the 81 men self reporting that they believed bicycling was 50%
    responsible for their ED were studied. From this the authors concluded that
    "Bicycle riding associated impotence occurs in different forms of bicycle
    riding and riding exposures." In my shop a customer will come in with a flat
    tire, and he will often tell me why he got a flat. He will be wrong about the
    tire being punctured 2% of the time and wrong about the cause of the flat 50%
    of the time, I wonder if these same people can diagnose why they got a flat
    penis. What I would really like to see is some hard facts on cycling and ED.
    "...some hard facts..."

chortle!
  • edited August 2008
    sunk, this is really fascinating. :) i had no idea there was such a passionate debate on the subject of seats in the biking community. the study quoted above, is again.. pretty old, but i'm getting the sense that it will take more than one well designed study to prompt any redesign of seats (and likely therefore, frames... and on and on).

i got the link to the study as part of my CE for med-surg from Nurselink, though, so there's probably going to be more attention in the future. :) who knows? i did flag the topic as a "follow". i'll be interested to see what comes up in the future.

i like my bike seat; it has a nose. ;) and it's padded and has bumsprings. only driving i do is if i have to go to town, and then i try to make someone else take me. heh
    sunk said...Using the same argument I can show the relation ship between kitchen knives and high rates of suicide by slashing of wrists by kitchen knives because they owned one.
    Guns don't kill people … rappers do
    disc brakes worth having?
    Oh yes, and if money can stetch go for hydrylics rather than cables. Hope are ace and british too although Shimano, Hayes, Magura and other brands are available.

The Hope Minis are fantastic value for money for the not-so-serious rider
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-plus-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000775

or

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-2008-hybrid-bike-ec000772
  • edited September 2008
    Some nice singlespeeds around for 2009;

The Felt Curbside

Felt Curbside
    chavtastic
    The Joyrider
    from here
    awesome! :D

urban - you'll likely save hundreds of £s by opting for a last-years-model bike, and not lose out on much tech.
    chris said...awesome! :D

urban - you'll likely save hundreds of £s by opting for a last-years-model bike, and not lose out on much tech.
    yup - ebaytastic
    Fixed
    ^ don't believe him. it's all duct tape and spray paint. ;)

anyone sporting these hello kitty tyres yet? sunk...? :)
    urbansurgeon said...
    chris said...awesome! :D

yup - ebaytastic
    nah, even new.
    i know
  • edited February 2009
    http://video.cannondale.com/images/09/CUSA/large/9RA95D_9RA95C_wht.jpg

99.9% sure this is what I will be purchasing in the hopefully near future.
    That or a net bike bargain then buy a good frame and do a parts swap.

For anyone curious as to why road bikes can cost so much I give to you a link to the Campagnolo dealer MSRP list --> http://www.netiquet.co.uk/CampyMSRP.pdf

For anyone curious as to why I want to spend a good chunk of change on a bike it so I can go from this ...
    http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-100/0111-1/%7BD05ADBDF-9F7B-4EE0-8005-47298CC0B210%7DImg100.jpg

to this ...
    http://www.vanityfair.com/images/culture/2008/09/cuar01_armstrong0809.jpg

I'm also drooling over a few nice cross bikes like ....
    Van Dessel: Gin and Trombones
    http://www.vandesselsports.com/images/gandt/gnt2009_black_main_large.jpg
    Gary Fisher: Presidio Steel frame ..... ~swoon~
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2009/1600x1200/presidio.jpg
    intersection koxx