Comments

• edited 12:01PM
    james brown poster
    most excellent, chris

Anyone know what font the bottom ones are? I like.
    and nicko, that link you posted is AWESOME! great stuff in there.
    i like stuff like this -

:)
    yeah, I do as well. Clever uses of perspective. Bit like the ads on the turf at football / rugby grounds
  • edited April 2008
    Romail's
    coltrane image, via fffound
    Amazing videos chris. I love that style.
    i'm sure that this poster has been posted here before, as it's been around for ages...

Created using the entire movie script

high(er) res image available on the website

jonas valtysson
    nice website, too!
    that Coltrane one is hot
  • edited April 2008
    Nice stuff people

kfz servicemechaniker projekt
    Small identity project for an university research project. The projects aim was the evaluation of a new education programme that changed from being a 3 years course to being a 2 years course.
    Chris I likes that key thing
    i think that key shape is a continuing theme for the cover of the *insert magazine name* which it appears on, and the guest designers / illustrators / whatever recreate it in different ways.
    *The New York Times "Key" Magazine* - real estate related stuff, hence the key, innit.
    I see what they did there
    pfft, who uses inches anyway
    lol, then he talks about decimalisation pfft x 2
  • edited April 2008
    Techniques for designing with type characters
    1. Use characters from the subject’s description. What better starting point and technique for conveying meaning than to use characters from the name of the building, location, object, or person? “The first thing I did was spell out the phrase, such as locations for the buildings, and copied it a few times at varying sizes in both upper and lowercase,” Justin explains. “This gives you a really good palette to start from which you can quickly grab different sizes depending on what you need.” (Regrettably, I learned about this tip only after I had made substantial progress, and therefore my design uses random characters and lacks that extra bit of meaning I could have given it.)
    2. Take advantage of symmetry for both speed and beauty. For objects or buildings that are symmetrical, use symmetry to your advantage for creating the design with less effort. As Justin describes, “I usually built one side, then flipped it to complete the building.” As a result, symmetry also enhances the aesthetics of your work. “The symmetry in these can be pretty beautiful.”
    3. Scale the characters to convey perspective. Justin: “In lots of them I used the scale of the characters to give the illusion of perspective, like larger characters closer to you, and smaller as they become further away. That helped a lot!”
    4. Repeat sections whenever possible. This is probably the most important tip. You’ll find sections of the piece which you’ve meticulously built can be copied and pasted elsewhere in the design, and the duplicated section isn’t really perceptible without closer inspection. This is a real time saver. “All you need to do is some minor swapping, and it looks like a totally new texture,” Justin adds.
    5. Don’t attempt this in one sitting. I take it back — this is the most important tip. Not only is type character designing extremely time consuming, it’s also monotonous work that requires a constant zoom in, zoom out dance to get things right. My design required a total of about 16 hours to complete. That’s just two full-time days worth of work, but don’t even attempt to do it two days back to back. Spread it out over a couple weeks to allow adequate time for correction, detailing, and simply to give yourself a break. (Mine was spread over three weeks.)
    The results of an extensive exploration with shadows, the One Day Poem Pavilion demonstrates the poetic, transitory, site-sensitive and time-based nature of light and shadow.
    Using a complex array of perforations, the pavilion’s surface allows light to pass through creating shifting patterns, which–during specific times of the year–transform into the legible text of a poem. The specific arrangements of the perforations reveal different shadow-poems according to the solar calendar: a theme of new-life during the summer solstice, a reflection on the passing of time at the period of the winter solstice. The time-based nature of the poem–and the visitor’s time-based encounters with it–allow viewers to have different experiences either seeing a stanza of the poem or getting the whole poem. All of these possible experiences are equally valuable and have meanings unique to the individual. This technique has the potential for producing particular effects and meanings within an architectural environment. Without the use of a source of power other than the sun, this project uses light and shadow to push the boundaries of communication and experiential delight.
    link
    I want his font. Its designed by pleks but I cant find a link for download or purchase :awkward:
    If anyone comes across it, or anything very similar, please let me know !
  • edited April 2008
    nice! (it's a custom font for DR Interactive according to their site...)
    i know :(

It would suit a job I'm working on, perfectly. It kind of reminds me of the Channel Four face. Maybe there is something very similar out there....

If I find anything, I'll let you know ;)
    have another look through the hot free fonts! thread :)
    Yeah, I did actually. I think that greyscale is the nearest to what I require. But some characters look a bit too futuristic if you know what I mean. Especially the 's'
    nicko - loving that shadow poem piece! I want one in my yard :D

Soooo coooooool.
    Nice ! I like that very much
    as a 'screensaver', i'm not sure how well having type in one position for long periods of time will work out, mind... :D
    good point !
    pretty cool - no image loading in the thread though :)
    who says that men don't like reading?
    chris said...who says that men don't like reading?

hmmmm... a bit too minimal for me !

(cant see anything mate ;) )

all via inspiredology