the great big infographics thread

Comments

• edited 4:34PM
    :happy:
    great stuff, mick
  • my son:

hood, hat/bandana, markers, backpack w/graf on it, black book, stencil.

should i be concerned?

ok, we talked, (wasn't too smart to tag the neighbors mailbox) now he's a bit more restrictive with his choice and proximity of targets.

ps: i gave him a banksy book for his birthday, subversivness runs in the familiy.
    hiya Red! neck :D

you've raised him right, good for you.

dunno about Sweden, but here, the younger taggers, when collared, end up scrubbing.

we've a community grafitti board at the top of the big hill that is in the middle of the island, but it's not fair game...mostly for messages to the whole community...

so :) the back of the preschool is used. the littles can't read, and they like the bright colours. they get to work down low on the wall with chalk. that's raising 'em right, too, i think. "say it loud, say it proud, and don't draw on the neighbours' mailbox" sounds like a good philosophy to me.

x
    aha those are great :)

from NYT
    Ha ha, brilliant

Seems like I took the direct route to girls via sunlight :happy:

Never could get along with D&D
    bbc gets in on the act today

The Cost of Food
    stolen.zero.
    I prefer the term "cross-posted"
    ha. either way, is it a valid stat?
    i totally made it up. i'd say that the love represented there is just the people that love themselves, rather than others. :)
    self love?
    no, i'd refer to that as sex and the chart would be a solid colour.
    Lomo Braunschweig
  • edited March 2008
    May I just say, I am genuinely impressed by these great big threads?

Nicely done so far, people.

I'd post some of the infographic signage I do for work, but by the time you guys would see it in the stores, it's been bastardized to the point of being unidentifiable. Marketing types. psshaw.

Shockwave traffic jams recreated by New Scientist
    process

Malwarez is a series of visualization of worms, viruses, trojans and spyware code. For each piece of disassembled code, API calls, memory addresses and subroutines are tracked and analyzed. Their frequency, density and grouping are mapped to the inputs of an algorithm that grows a virtual 3D entity. Therefore the patterns and rhythms found in the data drive the configuration of the artificial organism.
    ~spits out pizza
    lol !!!
    She probably doesn't get too many second dates.

hours of dark 2008. Source Blanka
    and hours of light
    hehe. Nice !
    hehe, they are cool. Where did you find them chris?
    no idea :) some blog or other, but i really couldn't pick a name now hehe

harsh !!

2001 was well ahead of its time though. I mean, how much research could Kubrick have done for that film in 1968?

Anyway, there just movies !
    :awkward:
    nicko said...:awkward:
    (not directed at you mate ;) )
  • edited March 2008
    Weak Lensing Distorts the Universe
    Explanation: Is the distant universe really what it appears to be? Astronomers hope not. Intervening dark matter, which is normally invisible, might show its presence by distorting images originating in the distant universe, much the way an old window distorts images originating on the other side. By noting the degree to which background galaxies appear unusually flat and unusually similar to neighbors, the dark matter distribution producing these weak gravitational lensing distortions can be estimated. Analysis of the shapes of 200,000 distant galaxies imaged with the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) does indicate the presence of a massive network of distributed dark matter. Future results may even be able to discern details of the distribution. The above computer generated simulation image shows how dark matter, shown in red, distorts the light path from and apparent shape of distant galaxies, depicted in blue.
    Link
    ^ lol :D
    World Connection Density

World City-to-City Connections

European City-to-City Connections

North American City-to-City Connections

Bigger versions here
    from the economist...