Swimming pool or pool table pool?
  • sktskt
    edited 2:09PM
    the second one.
  • edited 2:09PM
    you don't eat at night?
    lol !

That talk exchange visual is sexy™, chris.
    they have videos which i don't understand (infographics at it's best!) on the site, too. pretty all round cool.
    Nice. I'll check them out when i get home

Left: All the water in the world (1.4087 billion cubic kilometres of it) including sea water, ice, lakes, rivers, ground water, clouds, etc. Right: All the air in the atmosphere (5140 trillion tonnes of it) gathered into a ball at sea-level density. Shown on the same scale as the Earth.
    Shit, i would have thought there's be more water thank that?
    yeah, that one on the left doesn't really look right to me. i'm ok with the one on the right, however.
    saying that, it's a really big ball of water, that.
  • edited February 2008
    The New York Times - Arts - Image - Summer at McCarren
    the water/earth balls? the sizes are accurate. i thought they looked small the first time i saw that graphic and wrote to a geologist pal. it's a thin-skinned planet. thin being relative, and all. :)

that NYT poster has packed an impressive amount of data on one page. reminds me of a science fair project. heh

i like skt's circle graph. refreshingly, it's not shiny. that's a very good thing.
    ah yeah, i know they are accurate, but it still doesn't look right ;)
    i made a crude graf once proving that if you took all the people on the planet, squished them into a (messy) cube, and dropped them in the Atlantic, it would raise the water level approximately 2 cm.

and... got it.. on the "doesn't look right".
    website traffic map

website traffic map from designweenie
    Very noice !
    ^^ grrrnf
    i've a bit of a problem with many infographics.

when the actual information is obscured or skewed in order to make a more visually attractive offering, imo, it's cheating.

• the movie graf above is an example. it's a "stacked area" chart. no problem with them smoothing the raw data to create curves.. it really does balance out and is reasonable to do. the flows get bigger as time goes forward, even though the numbers are said to be adjusted for inflation... without explanation.

they've basically ignored the x axis, too, to make it look more interesting and balanced visually. i understand that it's the patterns that are the point, but they lost me when i realized they were messing with it to make it look better.

• the NYT poster is accurate and informative, if dense and seems to make the common mistake of trying to put too much information on one page.

• the website traffic map LOOKS to be even more obscure and without much real information, until you read the key and know that the flow IS the point, and the graf was designed to assist information architects (a great job description, btw) in their conceptualizing site design.

i like infographics a lot, but the chart has to give real, accurate information for it to seem of any value to me.

x
    the holy trinity
    perceived risk
    waaattt?! you mean cancer is more of an issue than terrorism?! no wai!
    Last one was awesome!

Coffee time!
  • edited March 2008
    :happy:

These double bed sheets are printed with a ruler starting at the center and measuring outward. Not really an infographic per se... I expect one of the mods will have something to say about this :happy:

Human trafficking
    this disturbing poster examines global human trafficking.
    "It depicts each country's level of involvement (from Very High to Very Low) as either a country of destination or origin. The project concentrates on the smuggling of people from one country to another - mainly illegally. In many cases these people are forced to do work that is illegal, such as prostitution or child labor."
    Massive version
    One for the n3rd5:

:happy:
    lol @ that last one :D
  • edited March 2008
    lol, resizing the image using "width=" in the post is cheating!
  • edited March 2008
    I'll amend it and link an attachment
  • sktskt
    CABBAGES
    ^ wtf?
  • sktskt
    couldn't find one for cabbages.
    kind of infographics - not beautiful but does what it says on the tin

my w.i.p.
    squapple said...image

large image here
    ^ ;)
    i was kinda expecting this one to be there -

:(
    there's a whole flickr pool of those graphed music references. :) most are a little lame, but there's some good ones.

song charts

this one made me grin:

rock you
    Nice ! 1958 as well.
    fashion suggestion