Photography newbie here!

edited July 2011 in advice
OK...so I started in the the wonderful world of photography. What an expensive world this is. I am getting the hang of things. I was wondering if any of you can give me advice on what websites are good for tutorials of editing, great deals on lenses, tips and tricks to learn from, perfecting the framing of a shot, etc. I am working with lightroom3 and am shooting with a Nikon D90. Overwhelm me with your advice....please!

Comments

• edited 2:58PM
    The d90 is a sweet camera, although i upgraded to the d7000.

What lenses are you using?
  • edited July 2011
    ditch the zoom lenses and get a nice little 30mm - you'll not take it off :)

//edit//

the one i had in mind was the sigma 30mm 1.4ƒ - great little lens on a budget.
    ignore chris :D

lensd choice is all about what you are more comfortable with try a prime and a telephoto - i dislike primes because of limit in range, telephotos are better choice - I'm using a nikkor 18-135mm
  • edited July 2011
    chris said...ditch the zoom lenses and get a nice little 30mm - you'll not take it off :)

//edit//

the one i had in mind was the sigma 30mm 1.4ƒ - great little lens on a budget.
    middigit said...ignore chris :D

lensd choice is all about what you are more comfortable with try a prime and a telephoto - i dislike primes because of limit in range, telephotos are better choice - I'm using a nikkor 18-135mm

If you're going the zoom route and want to learn don't zoom! ...choose the focal length before you put the camera to your eye.

Primes are great, especially when you've got a lovely wide aperture like chris is suggesting...

Don't look at the screen on the back all the time, shoot and shoot and review later...

:)
    The kit lens should be plenty to learn and play with - don't worry about lenses yet I'd suggest, it's all I learned with
    What? There's more to photography then point and click? Daaaam

I just turn the SLR on make sure I have the right setting, landscape, close up etc etc, then shoot. ;)
    ...and whatever you do, remember to take the lens cap off! :happy: :happy:
    LOL!
    pwnt!
    yeah, always have the lens cap off to anoy the public and make them think you are taking photos of them when you are actually just reviewing your photos FTW! :D
    what middigit said
    LOL! I sometimes forget to take the lens cap off even when I'm not trying to annoy the public. Then it annoys me!!!! Thank you everyone for suggestions. I started a FB page (lilimariephotography). This will help me get use to showing my work publicly. :smile:
    Oh hang on, you're not just 'starting in the wonderful world of photography' as a hobby?

That could change a bit of advice given here.
    well...right now I feeI I am just starting. I am learning the settings, the way around my camera, how different lenses work and what you can do with them. I learn from other photographer friends as well. Eventually I would like to do this professionally, on the side, but want to make sure I have the experience to capture someones memories.
  • Anybody know of great websites for free Lightroom 3 presets?
  • HA! Thanks Zippie. I have that bookmarked already. Any other suggestions. :smile: