working from home

edited November 2007 in conversations
i think it's often a great idea; there's tons of benefits and, depending on the type of work involved, very little downsides. i am still surprised by the lack of employers willing to allow this.
  1. less need for single purpose office space
  2. no commute journey costs
  3. no commute journey time
  4. ...add some more here
i guess that many are scared that work will not be done, and the employees will spend their time watching jeremy kyle of a morning, but hey...

Comments

• edited 2:19AM
    i mean, the infrastructure is there already, cheap high speed internet access, telephone lines...

i've worked with people the other side of the world using the internet. from start to finish on a project, easily. yet, i have to commute daily to go into an office to continue working on a project that's been ongoing for a while. we even communicate via email in the office hehe (as well as by talking, ok...).

just seems silly at times :)
    did it once for 1 year or 2 - never again. i was never really at home cause i always heard undone work yelling for me. when in my home-office i always stopped myself from working by doing something not-work-related in my appartement. now it's much easier, when i'm at home, i don't work. When i'm in my office, i work - well at least sometimes, kind of, i mean, like right now, THIS is some kind of work...

never again. ;-)
    Ditto. Working at home involves installing an playing about with new software, adjusting iTunes playlists, tweaking the OS and its prefs and any other general tomfoolery.... leading to all work done in the middle of the night!
    erm, you guys are seriously lacking in self discipline.

i install and play about with new software, adjust itunes playlists, tweak the OS and generally tomfool in work too...
    it may well come to something like telecommuting for me with one of my jobs. and for me, it will work very well. but i see it being somewhat more problematic for the owner - he'll have no shoulder to look over, etc. we'll see what develops, i would definitely be for it. i like my home :)

nekkid prepress & design :D
    Sounds great. Pitty my employer won't buy it :awkward:

I used to work form home but when I worked for myself !
    I worked at home for a while.
    I don't think I'd do it again either.
    I worked at least as much as I do at 'work' ... probably more, way more. I'd work well into supper time whithout thinking about it because I'd be on a role and sometimes end up working until 11pm on projects. Then on weekends sitting around thinking about what I could be doing at work. also there would be the odd day of nothing to do so I'd start playing games or something, then I get a call or an email for some work to do, but I'm so caught up in the game during the day I don't end up working until after supper.

Even if I started working for myself I'd get a small studio space or if I can get an acreage I'll set up an office in the barn or somethign so when I goto work I actually go to work.
    ~works from home and the office

there's as many distractions at work as there are at home, like the sock said you need some self discipline to ensure you meet deadlines etc but working from is the way forward for some organisations, especially those wanting to reduce onsite costs and 'go green'....
    Working in the office is for suckers!

(seriously, it does take some concentration, and a certain acceptance from the family and friends that when you're working, you're WORKING)
    work from home rules, what the hell is an office??? granted...this whole drinking all day thing is probably killing me...but hey~ what kills me can only make me better!!!
    (actually i do have to be at places, or be awake sometimes...but its rare)
    I edit bullshit videos, for bullshit people, for bullshit reasons(depositions, local cable commercials and weddings oh my!!!)

on a serious note,@chris what you said is very true...the amount of gas consumption reduced alone makes the idea worthwhile
    the amount of money these people pay for what i feel is 'wasted space' is amazing to me, my ex girlfriend had an office job, she spent a whole lot of time messaging me or calling, yet she had like this corner office, door closed kind of bullstuff going on~why pay for that- 99% of her job was done online & over the phone... corporations are odd and very stuck in their own MUDdled thinking...i do think we will see more people working from home in the next decade though~it makes sense on so many levels...i fel like im onm the verge of a rant, but i'm very very very tired right now...BTW you know when i have to wake up tomorrow~Whenever the hell i want to!!!

Im not so drunk right now~but i still love you all!!!
  • edited November 2007
    ^ you are evil and must be stopped!

~i love you too~ :p
    working from home has it's pros and cons. Been doing it for over ten years.
    I especially feel so muh more relaxed when on a project that needs that bit more ispiration and it's nowhere to be seen. The suddenly whilst watching
    Eastenders an idea pops into head, I then Sky+ my show keep idea afloat whilst I go to my machine in other room and voila.

Sometimes have done a straight 24 hour "shift" because of the ease at being at home but then the client was pleased and ultimately so was I.

Only downside is I do miss the office gossip, lunches. But am able to get to gym when it's more or less empty and get the pool and sauna to myself 8/10 visits
    so.

Good idea to get motivation at home is to get up early and dress as if you are going to go out to work.
    Honestly I've found that that psychological switch after years of being institutionalised 9-5 still needs to be flicked on.

vortexual:wink:
    i can tell i've been promoted, ive now been given a dongle to access the network from home

i feel so special :|
    i don't work at home ... and i don't do work at the office ;)

well ..from time to time i'am working at home. and you are right, chris: fast internet access is enough for many things to be done outside the office (using vpn tunnel, desktop sharing, web cam, etc.). but i have to second kelrin/meska: i don't get things done as good as in the office.
    gah, vortexual - one of the main reasons i'm all for it is so that i can work whilst just wearing pants.
    i can't believe Eastenders is worth sky+ing
  • edited November 2007
    Everything everybody said so far is true. what i would've said in a nut shell :)

Its not lack of discipline, everybody does it. dont believe us... you got a big "I TOLD YA SO" coming your way :D

I wake up and shower and get dressed even if no body will see my ass all day. hell its 9 am and i just did. :D I kinda laughed when i read that.

The only other major downside is this happens waaaaaay too often.

Part time designer... full time debt collector. :) i actually did catch a client on the driving range when he owed me money too lol

Im owed $4k right now, im fine and not starving... BUT I STILL WANT MY FUUUUUCKKKING MONEY!

Off site is always last to get paid 30 days to pay means... the check is send on the 30th day usually... low priority mail :(

oh.. last thing since we're the same age. Working from lost me personally, a lot of time to learn from older more experienced designers. I think looking back one day i'll say this hurt the worst. i skipped my most valuable growth periods. at the rate i charge now, they dont want to hear "im not sure" or "i dont know" or the worst "let me try that again"
    i'm salaried. i'd happily come in to the office one day a week to accomplish the same amount of work ;)
    this isn't about freelance, btw. it's about a greener way of working, lower stress levels, ability to work in your pants (without colleagues mentioning that you are only wearing underwear all the time).
    video conferencing, telephone calls, ftp, vpn, IM, email... what are these technologies for, if not to make your life easier?
    We're also the most common trade to work from home. Most places are too cheap to buy all the gear and software we use. We're also greedy and want tons of money. :) and like working on the side.

Usually its the boss being insecure or not liking the fact they're guys on salary are taking from both ends tbh.
    that sounds like mostly assumptions, rather than fact. hey, i'm not saying it's totally wrong, but eh...

i *think* that it can often be attributed to the employer being uneasy with the situation, i'll give you that. saying that, if the job gets done, and your employees are happier, who cares if they work on other things in the down time?
    one thought has crossed my mind. 6 of us here in the office - if we all worked from home, we'd have to heat and light 6 homes (ok, one room...). is that efficient?
  • edited November 2007
    chris:that sounds like mostly assumptions, rather than fact. hey, i'm not saying it's totally wrong, but eh...

i *think* that it can often be attributed to the employer being uneasy with the situation, i'll give you that. saying that, if the job gets done, and your employees are happier, who cares if they work on other things in the down time?
    Sounds? or KNOW? big difference ;)

Nothing new is really being said. I read the articles on the biz part of design all the time. same stuff being said here.

I agree, i believe the same thing, my developers and guys can do whatever the hell they want. as long as they dont try to milk me and everything gets done. Its fine. But not everybody feels the same way.

edit: i still got a G5.. my comp IS my heater... 1 foot away :)
    Yeah far cheaper to heat and light up your home than an office. Also your always on connection at home (due to dl torrents :D) would make no difference to your power consumption during the day were you to work at home. In theory it's great, especially if Tomas is at nursery during the day. If he isn't you'll have the little nipper pulling at your mouse and keyboard all day, especially when he can stand! I remember freelancing at home for 9 months, and Lola kept messing up all my stuff - i found her once on sitting on my keyboard, after i went off to make a cuppa :D
    and what are the other industries?

media, programming and writting (not count real estate agents). Cant think of other industries are have off site, as a common part of the industry.
  • edited November 2007
    yeah mesk, working from home != childcare :D that wouldn't fly at all.

but this isn't just about me, i meant in general.
    nightcrawler: Sounds? or KNOW? big difference ;)
    err, yeah...
    Most of the time I work from home and have been doing so for the past 4 years. I love it. PJs, bed-head and no ridiculous rambling meetings which eat up half your work-time ROCKS.
    chris:
    nightcrawler: Sounds? or KNOW? big difference ;)
    err, yeah...
    FACT: it is different.

[hide] fuck i always wanted to steal this little Socko trademark thing you love doing.[/hide]
    yeah... it sounds like assumptions. please source these 'facts', that's all i meant.
  • edited November 2007
    FACT: This isnt a debate, we're adding our two cents to only help you, and explain why, not prove that one knows more then the other.

FACT: i'm going to steal your "FACT:" thing because .. i just like it.
    FACT: This thread has become asinine!!!
    We're also the most common trade to work from home. Most places are too cheap to buy all the gear and software we use. We're also greedy and want tons of money. :) and like working on the side.
    ok, we are likely one of the more common trades to work from home (though, this may be due to freelancing, rather than employers work from home schemes). my place buys all the gear and software i use - it's a tiny amount of spend in the scheme of things. i don't think i'm greedy, but i wouldn't say no to more money. 'like' working on the side... ok, i'll give you that (as long as it's interesting work).

that's all i meant, really.

i think the main thing for me is, as meska pointed out, it can't be used for child minding - it'd never work out. if (when) i get set up on my own, i'd love to have somewhere to go to to work, but there is office space which would take me less than 5 mins to walk to from here, so it's better than a 10 mile commute. apart from when i want to ride the bike in to work, because that is both fun and dangerous :)
    though, when working for myself, i'd likely just take the morning off and ride like a cunt for a couple of hours, then go to the office. :D
  • edited December 2007
    More remote working would be good, though of course there are obvious places it couldn't work (like when I was lecturing :) ). On the whole I'm much more productive when I work in my home office than not, even with distractions. There were many more distractions in the communal office I used to share with 9 other people (a room meant for 6). Though I think the thing I would miss is enough human contact.

The life-work balance could also be a lot better working from home, riding like a cunt for example before settling down to some work would be very rewarding/invigorating. Feeling in control. The downside with most places of employment is that too many bosses are insecure bastards who (knowing they spend most of their time fiddling with their desk accessories), get anally retentive if the staff under them: laugh, joke, have friendly banter, go to the toilet, fart or do anything that to their eyes looks like they are not chained to work. They do this rather than accept there is a natural ebb and flow during a working day, therefore making all us minions, stressed, resentful, unproductive, etc. That or we leave :)

Then all the other benefits. I live on the edge of the second largest conurbation in the UK. Hour many hours are lost by commuting into its centre every morning? The cars driven in then often just sit there for seven hours before heading back to that strip car park called a highway.

Even flexi-working would be better than most of our traditional work patterns, for many a modern job (might not work so well in the armed forces or a car production line :) ) . . . .
    I hate being locked in the office 9 to 5, but it is true that I do not get stuff done as well at home as at the office. It is a lot harder to start working at home, after I have actually flicked on the computer and started working, I am all good.

My dream would be a small office, a studio, where I can go to work when ever I feel like it. Someday I'll rent one!
    jussi-k:I hate being locked in the office 9 to 5, but it is true that I do not get stuff done as well at home as at the office. It is a lot harder to start working at home, after I have actually flicked on the computer and started working, I am all good.

My dream would be a small office, a studio, where I can go to work when ever I feel like it. Someday I'll rent one!
    Yes, it is very much horses for courses.

A friend of mine had real difficultly when he had a period of self-employment. Not so much from the getting motivated point of view but because he felt the office was always calling (there over his shoulder all the time) so he had to put a rigid pattern to his working; making sure he cut off after a certain time.

I'm lucky (or the opposite depending on how you look at it) that I have few distractions (no wife or children) and my 'office' is not in a 'living' room, so I can close the door, either to end the day or to keep what distractions there are at bay . . .
    If only i could get a lock in my bedroom, then at least i could have an office at home :D
    you have your own bedroom..?! looxury!
    i have an 'office' set up in a bedroom now. it also has cath's 'second wardrobe' in there :)
    meska:If only i could get a lock in my bedroom, then at least i could have an office at home :D
    mondo:you have your own bedroom..?! looxury!
    Bedrooms - you mean you want to sleep as well!!!

:)
    yeah, the girls (11 and 9) are the ones with the "office" around here...given the choice of a room each they opted for the sleep together in one room/play together in another combination. Baby's upstairs with us and the computer is in the living area where we can all squabble over who gets to update their myspace...I tell myself it will all be mine once everyone's in bed, but then I pass out like I'm about to do now. Ah well...it's six months, isn't it? Someone tell me it's only six months.:surprised:
    yeah, gets easier all the time, i'm sure. nothing like going to bed at 9.30pm though...

*yawns*
    chris:yeah, gets easier all the time, i'm sure. nothing like going to bed at 9.30pm though...

*yawns*
    The scientists say our bodies start to rejuvenate at around 10:00pm or something like that; it's meant to be the optimum time for us to go to bed at least! Could be all rubbish of course . . .