Laser Printer?

edited July 2007 in advice
I'm looking for a cheap, reliable, quick B&W laser printer that preferably can print double sided... A4 i think is all that's needed... mainly text.

Anyone got any suggestions, or experience with anything?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited 3:01PM
    ~bookmarks thread
    Two of the best Apple compatible duplexing color laser printers are seriously discontinued. The Apple Laserwriter 12/640 had a duplex attachment, so did the Laserwriter 8500.

The HP 2200DT, also discontinued, was duplex out of the box. These can be had for $70ish on ebay.

To be honest, new duplexing printers are either color laser, expensive, have crappy drivers, or some combination of all three.
    Oh, and if you have an intel mac:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303057

The above is a list of printer drivers for intel macs. They are NOT the same as PPC drivers.
    yeah, an 8500 is playing up... toner isn't sticking to the page (element problem...?) and just generally being a pain in the ass...
    Sounds like a fuser or power supply, yea.
    oh yeah, and also need it networked ;)
    Yes, dear. I believe you'll find the above are.
    Brother HL5250DN Anyone heard anything about this one? Seems to be duplexable, networkable, and cheapish...
    Yeah, the one issue with that is the duplexing. You can't turn it on from the driver- you need to go into the web configuration screen (!), and tell it to turn duplexing on or off. Forever. Not just for that print job.

So, yes. It prints, and it duplexes. Condition #3 of modern duplexing (crappy driver) applies.
    lol Biff.

why can't someone make a new 8500??
    man, that's not as cheap as i was hoping...
    indeed...the 8500 only cost us about 800 quid 11 years ago... A3 and everything...
    http://www.it247.com/Category/132/Laser_Printers_And_Accessories

i was just having a look here... but no recommendations, of course :)
    Canon LBP3360 This says automatic duplexing...is that another way of saying it's either on or off, but not both (like the brother one...)?
    Yes.
    what a stupid idea...
    Well, it turns out that the canon isn't too shabby after all! You can select duplex printing in the finishing preferences when you print (no need to turn it permanantly on or off) and for around 200 quid, i've just set one up here.
    Nice! They must have updated the drivers. Let me know how it goes long term.
    that 3360? i'll have a look round - keep me updated on it's broken-ness, jamm!
    All seems good... no problems, quick printing, pretty good quality.

Linky