the great big infographics thread

Comments

• edited 12:03PM

the system: mapped out
    It is a part of the 'self-observation series' and it tracks down every transaction that was made through my debit card in the year of 2006. Based on the banking history of the Bank of America, account balances and each transaction details are described on the top panel. The bottom two panels of map represent the location of the transaction with red strings connecting each transaction to the physical space of it.
    wow, that's awesome
    the world of 100
    This is a self-initiated project based on the scenario – If the world were a village of 100 people.
    There are a few different versions of this text in circulation about the world’s statistics. I found the data very striking and neatly summarises the world that we live in. So I used information graphics to re-tell the story in another creative way. I designed a set of 20 posters, which contain most of the information. I used simple vector graphics that related to a statistic in order to present the information in the simplest and most accessible way. - toby ng design.
    see the full mammal family tree
    full mammal family tree diagram
    check out the hi-rez! pdf here.
    ok, not too exciting to look at, but pretty detailed.
    YES oh yesyesyes

Gorgeousness
    might be totally lameass question, but is there really anyone that follows those lines? that actually studies the schematics? :D
    vesides, of course, the author of the schematic/graphics and the people handling the gathered data :D
    hot, hot, and more hot.

i've no idea what any of it means, though.
    Nice, reminds me of The Sims. :D
    Photo of a Chocolate Pie Chart
    Chocolate Pie Chart

5.5 oz chocolate chart (3.5" diameter x. 75" high) made of 70% milk, 20% dark and 10% white chocolate.
    pricey!
    A series of film posters advertising a Quentin Tarantino Film Festival.
    Each poster explores character interaction within scenes, displayed using a circular mapping system.
    by AdamThurland on Behance network
    be-jot said...might be totally lameass question, but is there really anyone that follows those lines? that actually studies the schematics? :D
    vesides, of course, the author of the schematic/graphics and the people handling the gathered data :D
    i'm one who would. :) in that case, it would help if my German was better, but... yeah.

the key being that there's actually info. i'd read a list to get the same data.

i like the thing where posters are shown by people holding them up. i've wondered if the whole art department is sorted into has nice hands/make them wear gloves.
    God I love infographics
    That's really nice, echoes.
    that's a good one. somewhat terrible graphic, but the info's right there and easy to read.
    Ive become the king of infographics at my work... to bad its all secret business level shit I cannot share!!!
    Ive got stuff Ive presented to CP+B, American Express, Microsoft, and of course the board members so we can all keep our jobs. I realy do love this stuff!

Thanks everyone for keepin it coming!
    I don't know if that counts or not, but I couldn't think of a better thread ;)
    i've always thought a hand vacuum would be useful when negotiating time portals. ;) this proves it.

for me, infographics are like a crib sheet: there to clue or prompt you to things you already know. distilling complex real info into key words/pictures that unfold a whole line of thought or order of operations. it's a terrible way to communicate new complex information; like learning tensor math from a comic book. :)
    The world / The world ranged left
    The world centred / The world ranged right

• edited November 2008
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    McCain

Obama

Linky
    the "justified" world is fun; i think i saved that to show someone that not everything needs to align with page margins. (it was a joke)

the ist list also fun. the words would have been sufficient funny, but the pictues are there to get people to look, i suppose.

those donation graphs are sure vivid. and big. they are big. :)

Obamaland and McCainland:

land divided
    Where is my purple ringer?
    How do different wines taste?

More
  • edited November 2008
    Beer Consumption 1
    Beer Consumption 2
    Beer Consumption 3
    Beer Consumption 6
    Beer Consumption 5
    Beer Consumption 7
    Beer Consumption 4
    Beer Consumption 8
    Love the Star Wars one. As someone who doesn't drink, the beer one is disturbing to me (but this country definitely loves their beer).
    the beer graf... i'd say the US are relative pikers when it comes to consumption per capita, comparitvely. not sure... i'm just guessing. the big numbers reflect the large population.. but the comparisons are still a little unnerving.

i'm not sure if this qualifies as infographics or not, tbh... but it is informative, and maps are graphics... so...

LAND OF STRANGERS

saw those on ffffound the other day mick, they're pretty neat
    yeah, i noticed you "followed" one of them from my page. :)

i'd like to see the whole book. Speigel Online has a link, but i'm going to try to get the library to add a copy.
    these are thumbnails representing part of a huge project by a design student. done last June. Now he has a job (hope he can hang onto it).

"Designing the News" I'd encourage you to cruise through his site and grok the awesomeness and complexity of what he did.

Designing the News
    Interesting:

that Canis Majoris is badass. :) cool

representatives of various groups of organisms have been represented at sizes relative to the number of described species in that group. in case you're wondering where the mammals are, we're represented by the reindeer cowering underneath the mushroom.
    Damien Lopez : A History of Game Controllers
    Damien Lopez
    : A History of Game Controllers
    day
    another house / office number -